Going vegetarian – even if it’s for just one day a week – is the next big thing, and has been for a while. Vegetarianism can provide numerous health benefits like lower cholesterol and increased healthy fat intake. Likewise, vegetarianism is good for the planet, too, decreasing greenhouse gases and often lowering packaging costs. However, it can be difficult to come up with vegetarian meals on the fly. These vegetarian meals that freeze well will help you stay on track with your own personal vegetarian goals!
– Curried Vegetable and Chickpea Stew
- Curry is such a potent spice that you don’t need to worry about it losing its flavor due to freezer burn. Vegetables and chickpeas, when roasted, hold their texture and flavor when frozen, making this one of the best vegetarian meals that freeze well.
– White Bean Vegetable Soup
- Similar to the curried soup, white beans freeze very well and will not lose any nutrients in the process of freezing. When you reheat this soup, you can even throw in some fresh kale or spinach to add to the flavors.
– Sweet Potato Stew
- Sweet potatoes, which have the same consistency as mashed potatoes when roasted and mixed together, will freeze extremely well due to some of the natural moisture in the potato. When it is reheated, the moisture keeps the potatoes tasting fresh and flavorful!
– Broccoli Casserole
- Roast some broccoli in extra virgin olive oil, mix in some herbs and cheese and you are set! Casseroles are vegetarian meals that freeze well because the cheese re-melts upon reheating!
– Vegetarian Quiche
- An often forgotten about food, quiche is one of the vegetarian meals that freeze well because of its pie-crust base and cheesy filling. You can garnish the quiche with fresh herbs upon reheating.
– Zucchini Enchilada Casserole
- Using layers of fresh zucchini in place of a bready carb, the sauces and natural water-based veggies in this dish allow it to both freeze and reheat to perfection.
– Sweet Potato Waffles
- Using sweet potatoes in place of heavy butter and bready filling, these waffles freeze the same way some of your store brand favorites do!
– Blueberry Pancakes
- Once again using sweet potatoes as a base, throw some blueberries into the pancakes and, once cooked, throw these puppies into the freezer. Blueberries make this one of the best vegetarian meals that freeze well due to their plump-water base, something that will allow the pancakes to stay moist and fresh when reheated.
– French Toast
- Using chia seeds, agave, almond milk, and some fresh bread, make the French toast as usual, but once it is slightly undercooked, allow the bread to cool and then put the batch in the freezer. To reheat, simply re-heat on a griddle to your liking.
Now you have no excuse not to go vegetarian, at least for one day of the week. These vegetarian meals that freeze well are an excellent starting point for anyone looking to delve into the wonderful world of vegetarianism!