Do you need to cater a special event for friends, coworkers or family? Then consider these catering tips for a stress-free experience.
Choosing Where to Order:
- Start with some of your favorite local restaurants. Even those that do not advertise catering may have an off-menu option for large groups!
- Can you stay in-theme? If you are celebrating something special, amplify that message through your catering. If it’s a corporate event about “diversity,” cater signature dishes from a range of cuisine types.
- Will your food be sitting out throughout the day? Or will there be a designated meal time? This could effect the type of food you order – so think this through beforehand.
- Prep Time: Restaurants and catering companies need time to prepare your order on-time. Call well in advance and then follow up as the date gets closer.
- Dietary restrictions: If you are unsure about your guests’ limitations, generally try to make sure that you have some vegetarian and nut-free options.
- Serving Dishes: Clarify with your catering company if they will be bringing the proper equipment to keep dishes hot. Also confirm who will be in charge of plates, napkins and utensils.
- Event Venue Options: If you’re hosting at an event venue, the event space may already have a catering menu or catering connections. NYC event venue OFFSITE offers complimentary coffee, soft beverages and snacks. If more food is needed, they can provide catering menus so you choose a trusted vendor. However, other event venues like hotels, will encourage in-house offerings.
- Budget: Make sure that you are your vendor are clear about budgets at the start of the conversation. Determine a deadline for the last day to update the head count.